Friday, September 12, 2008

My Little Fly Swatter

For the last few days, we have been plagued by an unusually large fly. It was so big that when it flew, it sounded like a bee buzzing in the house. It landed on the couch this morning and Alex tried to grab it, and I freaked out and scared her. Oops.

Then this afternoon I was upstairs ironing and Nathan came up and told me the fly was bugging him. I reminded him that he and his brother had thrown the fly swatter in the rain gutter outside a couple weeks ago, so we just had to wait for it to die. He wanted to squish it with a shoe, but I told him that he could NOT go around the house swinging a shoe around trying to kill it. I could just envision broken glass everywhere and the screen of the DSL TV smashed in. He agreed and wandered off, and I continued to iron without another thought about it.

When I finished ironing, I came downstairs and found Nathan in the kitchen. He proudly declared, "I killed the fly!" I inquired how, hoping he'd listened and didn't use a shoe.

"I flushed him down the toilet!" Nathan said.

"Wow, how did you catch it?"

"With a napkin," he says in his typical matter-of-fact way.

I was about to tell him he was pretty brave, when he said, "He was so scared. It was sure a bad day for that fly!" Then he thought for a second and said, "But it's a good day for us!"

No comments: